Instructions for Entry of Appearance and Waiver

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
NOTE: These instructions are ONLY for couples who live in Louisville-Jefferson County. These instructions are part of the Self-Help Divorce series.

Download the Entry of Appearance and Waiver form and instructions (Word format)

This form is to be used as a substitute for serving the Respondent by certified mail, by warning order attorney, or by Sheriff. IF YOU ARE SERVING YOUR SPOUSE BY CERTIFIED MAIL, SHERIFF, OR WARNING ORDER ATTORNEY, DO NOT FILL OUT THIS FORM. If your spouse is willing to sign a Marital Settlement Agreement concerning your divorce, then he or she also needs to complete this form. This form can be filed at the time you file the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage or at any time after that.

If you have any questions regarding your legal rights, have difficulty filling out this form, or have trouble following any of the specific instructions that accompany this form, you may want to consult an attorney.

Fill in the Entry of Appearance and Waiver as follows:

Step 1:

  1. If you know your case number, and your division number, fill it in here.

  2. Fill in your name.

  3. Fill in your spouse's name.

  4. Once the form is complete you must sign here. Do not sign at home because you must sign in front of a notary or the Circuit Clerk.


    Remember you are making a "promise" to the Court that all of the information you have provided in this document and true and accurate to the best of your knowledge.

Step 2:

To file this document, take the original to the Office of the Clerk of Jefferson County Family Court located at 700 West Jefferson Street, Louisville, Kentucky. Present the original to the Clerk. You will be required to pay for a copy for you. The Clerk will give you back one of the photocopies that you should keep for your records.

Date Reviewed: 
Friday, November 22, 2013