Veterans' Resources - Homeless Veterans
National Call Center for Homeless Veterans - The United State Department of Veterans’ Affairs has set up a national hotline for homeless and at-risk veterans to receive counseling. Call toll free at (877)424-3838 or chat live with a VA representative.
Health Care Benefits - For general information regarding health care benefits, eligibility, and V.A. hospital and clinic locations, visit the VA website at http://www1.va.gov/health/ or call 1-877-222-VETS (8387).
Veterans benefits – For general information regarding veterans’ benefits, visit the V.A. website at http://www.va.gov/ or call 1-800-827-1000
STATE AND LOCAL
Homeless Counseling and Services:
- Interlink Counseling Services - Interlink Counseling offers many services to homeless veterans, including drug and alcohol dependency programs. Interlink also offers the opportunity for transitional housing. 8311 Preston Highway, Louisville, KY 40219
- St. John Center for Homeless Men - An emergency day shelter and social services center located in Louisville, KY. Its mission is to create an atmosphere that encourages homeless men to envision a life of hope, take shelter, and find rest by treating each person with dignity and respect, and supporting them in addressing the problems that lead them to homelessness. This mission is accomplished by implementing three complementary programs: the day shelter and social services center, a residential recovery program for those with drug and alcohol addictions, and a permanent supportive housing program for the chronically homeless. 700 E Muhammad Ali Blvd, Louisville KY 40202, (502) 568-6758
- Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs - Homeless Veterans Transition Program: Information on Kentucky homeless transition programs for veterans.
- Homeless veterans in KY
- Reentry guide for incarcerated veterans returning to Kentucky [PDF]
Homeless Counseling and Services (Lexington):
- Homeless Veterans Transition Program - The KDVA and the Volunteers of America have partnered to provide a drug and alcohol treatment and transitional housing program in Lexington, KY. (859) 254-0149
Homeless Shelters (Louisville):
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul - St. Vincent de Paul provides 20 beds for homeless veterans in the Louisville area. In addition, St. Vincent also provides educational and employment referrals, substance abuse counseling, and assistance in locating permanent housing. 1029 South Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40203-2733, (502) 583-8158. Download the Application for Assistance [PDF]
- Interlink Counseling Services - Interlink provides over 70 beds at 3 locations offering a variety of services in addition to meals and bathing facilities. 8311 Preston Highway, Louisville, KY (502)287-4178
- The Healing Place - The Healing Place offers many programs to help homeless persons who are currently suffering from alcoholism or other substance dependencies. They offer housing and clinics in addition to these services. 1020 West Market St, Louisville, KY – (502)585-4848 and toll free at (866)781-3266.
- Wayside Christian Mission - 423 East Jefferson St, Louisville, KY - (502)584-3482, 822 East Market St, Louisville, KY – (502)584-3711
Health Care for Veterans (Louisville) - You may be eligible for certain health benefits provided by the United States Department of Veterans’ Affairs. For eligibility information for the Louisville V.A. Medical Center, or to apply for benefits:
- Call the medical center at 502-287-6201 (Toll Free 888-244-1148)
- Visit the medical center eligibility office at 800 Zorn Avenue, Louisville, KY 40206. The Eligibility Office is located in the Admissions Area of the main hospital on Zorn Avenue, Room B-165.
- Access the website at http://www.louisville.va.gov/patients/eligibility.asp. You can apply for health care benefits online as well as access all application forms required.
Reviewed June 2010