Skip to main content

This content was last updated on 2/13/2024

What is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

Assistance is provided at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls  and other convenient locations.

Who is eligible for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?

In order to qualify for this program, you must:

  • Earn moderate income or less; or
  • Be disabled; or
  • Not speak English well; or
  • Be a senior citizen
Does VITA charge a fee?

No.  Services are free.

What do I need to take when I go to file my taxes?
  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents 
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birthdates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earnings statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number, if applicable
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

NOTE:  To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

How do I apply for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?

No application is needed to use this service. For the locations of the tax assistance sites, go to: or call 1-800-906-9887.


Was this info helpful?

Please include your email if you want us to follow up with you.